February 20, 2018

Welcome Back!

I hope that you enjoyed a wonderful summer!  As I am writing this, we have thirty students in our class, though that is subject to change.We are evenly balanced between third, fourth, and fifth graders.  I look forward to seeing many smiling faces and building our new classroom community.

In addition to reading, ‘riting, and ‘rithmetic, we will study the People of the Gorge, including the natives, newcomers, and current residents, Matter and Energy, Magnets and Electricity,  and Body Systems. We already have several awesome field trips planned to enhance our classroom study.

Ms. Cassy Czupryk, a student at Concordia University, will be working with us as a practicum student once a week this fall, and as a student teacher in the spring. She brings lots of positive energy and expertise in science to our class.

The intermediate grades are a giant step for many students. As an aid to organization, we use a homework log in our class. The basic homework is to read each school day outside of class. Each student should take his/her book home to read daily, as well as the homework log with any other assignments that need to be completed. Homework papers and notes or letters for home will all be in a green folder. Each day, the folder, log, homework, and book should go back and forth from school to home. Each Monday, students will receive a new homework log for the week. Especially during the first few weeks, students may need guidance to establish their routine.

Once a month, I will send home book order forms. There is no pressure at all to buy anything, but you can often find quality books at cheap prices. If you choose to purchase books, you must return the order form and check made payable to Scholastic to me by Thursday of the week that the order was sent home. I use the bonus points that we earn to buy books for our classroom library.

Some of you have already spoken to me about volunteering in the classroom.  We love to have parents come in and work with reading groups, listen to individual students read aloud,  help out during math, or chaperone field trips. I could also use someone who likes to run off copies and prepare materials. If you can commit to an hour or so each week, please let me know the best time and day of the week for you. I will contact you in September to confirm the arrangement. All volunteers must fill out a background check before beginning. You can pick up a form at the office.

Class starts promptly each day at 7:55 a.m. Please be sure that your child is here no later than 7:50 a.m. so that he/she is ready for our day. This year, we are required by the state to contact parents by phone if their children are tardy or absent, so expect an automated call, even if the absence is excused. Intermediate students are dismissed from the classroom at 3:05 p.m. Students who are being picked up will leave via our outside door. You should meet them on our “front porch”. Those who are staying for our last recess will board the buses at 3:35 p.m.

Each Thursday (or Friday of holiday weeks), I will send our classroom newsletter by e-mail. It will be packed with details of our week, upcoming events, and other noteworthy information. Paper copies are available for those without internet access.

Please contact me with questions or concerns at 503-261-4235 or shandy@corbett.k12.or.us. I try to check my e-mail at least twice during the school day.

About Susan Handy