December 12, 2017

Week One

We made it through the first week!  Routines are still being established and everything will only improve with time. This week was difficult in math because our music scheduled was being worked on.  We will begin the new schedule on Tuesday. Our class has my all time high of 29 (we had thirty but one student already moved).

We are busy trying to help our new members familiarize themselves with our classroom.  I know that a few young members are feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I think that comes from being the oldest members in their classrooms last year to now being the youngest!

Volunteers are very much appreciated (especially this year with so many kids).  I have listed our schedule below.  Help is needed mostly in math, reading, and writing. If you want to help with math, but would like to be there when your child is actually there and not in music I will let you know their session of music (I do know that all third graders are in Session One).  If you want to help just send me an email or stop by before or after school.

Please be sure to join us on Wednesday, September 7 for our district’s Open House.  It begins with a BBQ, Dr. Trani will talking, and then we have classroom visits at 7:15 pm until 8:00 pm. 

Here is our current schedule:
7:55 am – school begins
7:55 am – 8:10 am – Morning meeting (poetry readings, songs shared, and a review of the day)
8:10 am – 9:30 am – Language Arts (mostly writing activities)
9:30 am – 9:50 am – Snack (no recess)
9:55 am – 10:30 am – Session One (band, Funky Monkeys) and math for those not in music at this time
10:30 am – 11:05 am – Session Two (band, Funky Monkeys) and math for those not in music at this time
11:05 am – 11:40 am – Session Three (band, Funky Monkeys) and math for those not in music at this time
11:40 am – 12:30 pm  – Reading Workshop (lots of reading and reading activities)
12:30 pm – 1:25 pm – Lunch and then recess (this is a change from last week)
1:30 pm – 1:50 pm – Listening (read aloud)
1:50 pm – 2:30 pm – Science/Social Studies/Art/Gorge on Mondays and Wednesdays
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm PE (Mondays and Wednesdays)
2:30 pm – 3:00 pm Journals (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
3:05 pm – 3:30 pm Recess (and some pickups)
3:35 pm – Dismissal

Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson