October 19, 2017

Author Study: Leo Lionni

Our first author study of the year is the work of beloved writer Leo Lionni. Lionni was born in Amsterdam in 1910 and died in 1999. He says of his birth, “It had been a hectic, scary day, but, in retrospect, a good one. . . . Two fives—my hands. Ten, my fingers. I would be making things.”

He went on to sculpt, paint, draw, design posters, create mosaics and at the age of 50 wrote his first children’s book. He went on to write 39 more books, illustrating his titles with his charming animal characters. His style has influenced other children’s authors, such as Eric Carle and Ezra Jack Keats.

Check out his website (http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/lionni/books.php) and enjoy the work of this amazing writer and artist!

Bekah Tucker About Bekah Tucker

This is my eighth year as a primary classroom teacher, previously working as a special education teaching assistant and an english preschool teacher in Prague.

Outside of teaching, my passions are traveling, trying new restaurants, strong coffee, being with friends and family, and enjoying the beauty of the Columbia River Gorge.

I love being a Corbett teacher!