November 24, 2017

Parent Letter – First Week

Hi Parents-

This letter was sent home last week along with your “parents’ homework assignment.  If you haven’t seen a copy of it, ask your student.

August 30th

Dear Parents & Guardians –

I am excited to have your child in my class this year. One of the most wonderful things about looping students (keeping them with a core teacher for more than one year) is for us to build relationships. That includes not only with the students but the parents as well. These relationships are the foundation of our school community.

This is my ninth year working for Corbett School District. I am in my dream position working for an incredible school. The staff at Corbett Middle School is a very close team that is always looking for ways to make our school better. I believe that Corbett Middle School is a wonderful place for every type of student. I want students to feel empowered to learn, build healthy relationships and enjoy coming to school each day.

This year we have a whole new website to make it easier for parents to stay informed. Please go to www.corbett.k12.or.us and link to my page. If you do not use internet modes (facebook, twitter, rss feed, email, etc.) to get your information and need a paper copy sent home via your student, please let me know on the attached sheet.

Our Open House is on Wednesday, September 7th from 5:00-8:00 p.m. The evening is full of events, so try to make it. We will have an informational meeting, a seminar provided by the Multnomah County Library, BBQ and time to tour the building. Please introduce yourself to me if I haven’t already met you.

Conferences are also scheduled from 3:45-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 4th & Wednesday, October 5th. I will be sending further information home in the next couple of weeks.

Our school needs volunteers to make things happen. As a mother of two, I know it’s difficult to fit more in to our schedules. At some point, while your child is in middle school, try to join us on an overnight field trip. Our first field trip is September 19th & 20th. Students should have received information about this trip at registration.

If you can volunteer by helping out in the school, please let me know by emailing or calling me at your convenience.

We have a new, exciting year of curriculum ahead of us. Students will begin reading The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton the first week of school. This is a classic young adult novel that many of you may have read during school. Students will also have access to our classroom library. Our fall curriculum focuses on world geography, Ancient Mesopotamia, simple machines, research skills, storytelling and word roots. The school day will be full, but if students use their time effectively in class there shouldn’t be an endless amount of homework. Students should be completing math lessons on a regular basis. I will try to keep key assignments listed on my website as a starting point to discussions at home. Your child should be the primary source of information about what is happening during their school day. You can always contact me to confirm.

Please feel free to contact me about concerns or if you need an update. The school will mail home a two page narrative progress report three times each year. This will contain information about our units of study, scores and goals that I have for your child. The easiest way to get a hold of me is through email ryoung@corbett.k12.or.us. I try to respond to email within one to two days. I am rarely able to answer my phone (503-261-4204) during the school day when students are busy. However, I do try to respond to all voicemails at the end of the day. If you need to get a message to your child you can email me or call the office (503-261-4200).

Once again, I look forward to working with you to make this an incredible year for your student.

Best Regards,

Rhiannon Young
ryoung@corbett.k12.or.us
503-261-4204

Rhiannon Young About Rhiannon Young

Ms. Young is in her 12th year in the Corbett Middle School. Besides spending her days with middle schoolers, she loves to travel (often with middle schoolers as well), spend time with her family and read.