October 20, 2017

Weeks 3 and 4

Busy!  I think that sums up both weeks.

Week 3

We went to Mt. Hood to visit a few Barlow Road sites.  We saw a replica of the Barlow Toll Gate where Sam Barlow collected his fee for using his trail.  We looked at Laurel Hill where the pioneers had the most difficult descent of the Barlow Trail and visited a pioneer woman’s grave.  We had a great view of Mt. Hood at Summit Prairie.  We spent our afternoon at White River Campground viewing different stations that explained the toys, cooking, carding wool, rope making, and churning butter.

Week 4

This week we had the opportunity to meet with the Lower Columbia River Estuary Partnership (LCREP).  We were given a wonderful morning of paddling canoes on Lake River.  We had saw many Blue Heron, a turkey vulture, many sea gulls and a few killdeer.  After lunch we drove to view a longhouse.  We were able to go inside and get a glimpse of what life was like for the Native Americans.  The longhouses were large buildings that housed many family members and was main gathering place.

Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson