September 21, 2017

The Past Weeks!

It has been a very busy few weeks and I apologize for not updating more frequently. Two weeks ago we went on a very educational field trip to the Barlow Road. We stopped at Laurel Hill, Summit Prairie, and a hands-on, living museum on Mt. Hood where guides led us through activities from the Oregon Trail. In the spring we will be diving deeper into the history of the Oregon Trail and this field trip will serve as a great jumping off spot for the class.

Last week we went on a wonderful field trip to Ridgefield, Washington, to visit a plank-house and take a ride in a canoe. The class had a great time canoeing along the wildlife refuge. The plank-house visit was helpful in helping us get a better sense of life for Native Americans along the coast who lived in such buildings. We also enjoyed looking at and learning about the tools typically found in such a place.

We have been busy in the classroom as well. We learned about complementary colors and value in art. Students completed complementary color paintings as well as value paintings. We also practice value scales in our sketch books. We looked at ballet as art and learned about Martha Graham, the dancer behind Appalachian Spring. We even watched some clips from the original ballet with Martha dancing.

Reading is taking shape. Some students have been placed in book groups with one student or just myself. Students should be reading chapter books and completing the books they start. I will continue working to find the right book for every student.

Abby Steichen About Abby Steichen

This is my fifth year teaching at Springdale and my eighth year teaching an intermediate classroom in the Corbett School District.
When not in school, I enjoy reading, photography, gardening, sewing, exploring nature, and spending time with my husband, three daughters, and two cats.