We will be making one update to the CSD website platform code, scheduled to occur Tuesday night, October 18 (tonight) at apx. 10 p.m.
- Risk: this is a low risk update
- Outage: none –this update should not impact your ability to work on the site
- Service(s): RSS feed formatting and email publishing; this augmentation will add an author byline directly in the post title in all emails sent to district email subscribers (details below)
- Scheduled: 10/18/2011 @ apx. 10 p.m. PT
As you may know, anyone can sign-up to receive updates (news and teacher notes) from the CSD website via email. For those of you who
may not have seen these email messages, the email messages feature:
- A ‘from’ name that is equivalent to the name of the source (e.g., ‘CSD» Mr. Pearson’, or ‘Corbett School District» District-Wide News’)
- A subject line equivalent to the name of the source (e.g., ‘CSD» Mr. Pearson’, or ‘CSD» District-Wide News’)
- A list of any new posts from the source, featuring the post title, date and time published and text of the post
Unfortunately, the one element lacking in the list above is the ‘author’ of the post. While this isn’t much of an issue when you’re receiving an update from a specific teacher (e.g., ‘CSD» Mr. Pearson’), for those recipients who have subscribed to news feeds, you do not see the author unless you click on the link, which takes you back to the website. Subsequently, we have received a few requests from staff and community members for the author of each post to be included.
Unfortunately, this is not something that can be readily achieved through a standard, configurable option within the WordPress framework. As such, a custom solution is our only option. Fortunately, after some investigation and testing, we are now prepared to implement a new feature this evening which will add an author byline directly in the post title in all emails sent to district email subscribers. This augmentation to the core website code is scheduled to be implemented @ apx. 10 p.m. this evening, Tuesday, October 18 (to minimize risk). The results should be immediate.
Please note that this will not change the manner in which post titles appear on the website. This change is only to the data that is published through the RSS feeds for the site, which are then turned into email messages. Twitter and text message (SMS) services will also be affected, though with only 140 available characters, the addition of the author will likely not be included in most messages published by these two services.