December 11, 2017

A Student’s Perspective on AP

Written by Robin Freeman
October 19, 2011

Corbett School District

Dear Sirs and Madams,

I wish to thank you for your foresight and plea for your continuation of the Advanced Placement (AP) program that has been a huge motivator and advantage to me and my classmates. This program has brought positive attention to our school and therefore, and I think more importantly, to our students on the part of recruiting colleges. The AP program and the attention it brings from top colleges have kept me in this district, representing an opportunity greater than those offered in other communities that my family has asked me to move to.

The real benefits for students are multiple and dramatic. Students that are gifted and unchallenged are at risk of becoming bored and disenfranchised; resulting in personal under-achievement and our community risks the loss of their potential. AP’s challenge opens minds as well as doors to achievement. AP students who intend to join the workforce sooner than a baccalaureate degree will allow, will appreciate the benefit of college credit that can shorten the time of two-year and even condensed one-year Associates degree programs. Also, as education is seen as a key to greater achievement, opportunity, and income, any measure that successfully inspires students to greater personal education benefits our nation in globally trying times and deserves careful consideration.

I know my own work ethic and sense of self-worth have been developed by the AP program. I strive to outdo myself, and to deserve to be in a “special” group of students, because I want to uphold the high standards that the AP program represents. I think my peers see AP as a badge of achievement, and I believe many students feel that they can earn that badge to varying degrees. Of the 13 AP classes I have aced so far, I have earned qualifying scores on only four AP exams, and am quite proud of having taken each of those classes. Although I did not do well enough in many of these difficult classes to receive college-level credit, I’ve learned a lot in these courses, and I don’t regard the experience as a failure. Instead I look upon them as a representation of who I’ve become and the reasoning behind why many doors of opportunities have opened up for me.

Please keep the AP program, as removing it would disenfranchise kids like me. As a member of a low income family, achievement is the only path I can see to reaching top schools, and therefore advanced degrees that could break my family’s cycle of poverty. This program has helped me through a lot of rough times and has guided me to success; to see it go would be devastating. Students need a program like this to give opportunities and a chance to succeed in life. The AP program at Corbett has inspired and challenged me to go above and beyond what my family has thought me capable of, and now I anticipate attending college with a bright future beyond. This program has even given me the opportunity to apply at Princeton, Yale and even Harvard. To get into one of these top schools is my ultimate dream in life as I have a tendency to thrive through education. I believe the AP program represents real opportunity for the economically disadvantaged, and for all students who can develop a strong work ethic. This program is a recognized mark of excellence for which to strive.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Robin Freeman
Corbett High School Senior

Lori Luna About Lori Luna

Mrs. Luna has worked at Corbett Schools since the 2000-2001 school-year. She is currently the principal and Spanish teacher for CAPS (Corbett Arts Program with Spanish) at Springdale - the K-8 program of Corbett School District. Mrs. Luna has taught at every level - elementary, middle and high school. She has also taught multiple subjects from Spanish to Math and English, from History to Human Geography and Science and more. She is committed to Corbett Schools and the families they serve.