December 13, 2017

Week 9 in Mr. Houck’s Class, by Marcelina Diaz

Every week one student in our class gets to sit out the super quiz and write the weekly update on our class.  This week’s update was done by 8th grader Marcelina Diaz.  Thanks, Marcelina!

This week in Mr. Houck’s class we finished the Mesopotamia simulation. We were upset that it came to an end, but happy to see all of our accomplishments that we got done. Every week, each of us had a task to finish. We all picked something new so we could learn something new. Each table group got so many civilization points for that task. Mr. Houck gave the points according to how good the tasks were and how much time we spent on the task for that week.

This week we also finished our read aloud book, The Big Empty.  It was by J.B. Stephens.  This book was a very interesting book.  Most of the kids in my class liked it very much and are already moving on to the second part. I recommend this book to people who like reading about the world falling apart and teenagers trying to stay alive.

On Monday of this week we got 13 more vocab words to study and memorize. Every time we get new words we pick new partners, so we can talk to someone new. The vocab words are always on the super quiz, so we usually go over them once or twice during that week so we know we have them down.

This week I was so happy to finish the read aloud book, because I always know Mr. Houck has a better book in store for us. The Mesopotamia unit is sadly over but now I know that I learned something new. I never knew it would be so much fun doing tasks and being in my very own clan. I also like being able to chose where we moved and going into battle. Every Thursday we would have trade day, and our class would either do it alone or ask another class to join us. That was always fun to see everyone running around trying to trade as many things they could.

Lucas Houck About Lucas Houck

Mr. Houck teaches in the middle school. He thinks it's the greatest place to be. Born and raised in Oregon, he enjoys camping, fishing, soccer and good food. He loves his wife, his baby boy, his work, and his friends!