November 24, 2017

Culinary Arts Through the Eyes of a Student

I recently received a paper from one of my ‘Advanced Culinary’ students. His words were so honest and thoughtful I decided to share them with you.  I think they help depict why this program is so special and how it helps students set achievable goals for themselves. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.  Have a great Thanksgiving with the ones you love! 

~Mrs. Rad

______________________________________

I have taken Culinary Arts for four years. After spending one year one Culinary Applications my freshman year, two years going over the curriculum and my final year as an Advanced Culinary student, I can safely say that I have seen it all in the Corbett kitchen! This is my compilation of thoughts and ideas of this amazing program.

I have taken Culinary Arts for four years because what started as a curious attraction to the kitchen turned into a love of an art. The first year I took Culinary Arts was my freshman year, I was one of the “lucky” kids because only a few freshman had the opportunity to be where I was. I enjoyed my first year, but the next year I asked if I could be put in a class period where I could cook and go over the curriculum. From then on my interest in Culinary grew and grew and grew into a necessity for the freedom and creativity that the kitchen offered. The whole class that sophomore year was fresh as well. A new teacher and a new curriculum were introduced to Corbett. It was going to be a grand year, I could tell. The next two years were filled with quality knowledge, experiences and memories, all of which has made my perspective of the program what it is today. Culinary has now become my freedom from all other things, my light in the dark. It gives me a break when I need it and delight when I want it. This delight I take in the class is why I have taken it for three years and now a fourth.

The Advanced Culinary class has definitely met expectations. At first I thought I was going to have to go over the curriculum for a third year; when I found out that I wasn’t, I was excited. No more Culinary tests and worksheets. I would have a whole year to cook, create, and do labs… it was going to be great! And so far it has been great. I love the freedom we have when we are doing projects, whether it is a independent activity or an assignment to cook deserts for the board meetings. Both give equal opportunity for freedom of expression, compassion, and creativity. Any class with those opportunities definitely exceeds my expectations for a high school class.

This year I have also been given the chance to do my own independent projects. One of these projects was to cook a gourmet dish. I chose the recipe from my Tillamook Cookbook and the reason I chose it was because it was my girlfriend’s birthday and Macaroni & Cheese is one of her favorite dishes. The macaroni dish I made was Simply Italian Macaroni. It was the best thing that I’ve ever made and also one of the most challenging. It was also the most fun to make. It took just over an hour to make and it was simply delicious. I brought all the ingredients from home and was provided with the whole period to work on my project. This dish is the one I will probably always be the most proud of. I took a leap of faith and tried a new recipe and it went unimaginably well. I hope that I will be able to do many more projects like my Macaroni & Cheese dish during the remainder of the year.

The Macaroni dish that I made for my independent project helped me realize and set a goal for myself. This goal is one I hope will help me with life skills; to be able to jump into a situation that is foreign and be able to remain calm and prevail. While making the Macaroni dish I was thrown into this situation. I lacked confidence in my ability to cook and was hoping that I would not mess it up. I almost always get this nervous when cooking and hope that one day this will change. I believe that Advanced Culinary will help me achieve this goal and better prepare me for life’s challenges.

Culinary Arts has had a huge impact on my life and has helped me get through high school. Without this Culinary program, I have no idea where I would be. So I want to say thank you to all of those people who have made this program possible. It means the world to me. Thank you so much!

Jenny Radulesk About Jenny Radulesk

9th Grade Core Teacher & Graduation Coordinator