December 11, 2017

Trillium Room Nov. 23rd

It’s astounding how much we can pack into a 3-day week, even when one of those days has a delayed opening.

Monday, we finished our read-aloud Charlotte’s Web.  As a fun comparison, we watched the movie version of the same story.  The kids were entranced and quite a few tears were shed.

Tuesday, we had a special presentation called “Project Tree.”  We learned about the parts of a tree and some technical vocabulary as well.  Through the use of some fun props, we learned how animals interact with trees, including spreading their seeds.  The most important point was that every cone can not be called a PINE cone.  Ask your child about the cute story of the mouse who hid from a fire.  Also on Tuesday, we were invited to Mrs. Dawkins’ room to watch 4 Readers’ Theaters about myths from our area.  We learned about Multnomah Falls, the Bridge of the Gods, why the Columbia River sparkles, and how birds got their colors.

On Wednesday, we followed up our study of trees by making paper.  Did you know paper comes from trees?  Ask your child what the process was.  We also had a great treat of getting to watch a group of Native American dancers.  This special presentation was paid for by a grant secured by Mrs. Dawkins.  The dancers are from Warm Springs and are called the Canoe Family.  After the dance, we had a treat of traditional Chinook treats:  salmon and dried berries.  Thank you so much to those of you who contributed.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.