December 11, 2017

Week 17 in Mr. Houck’s class, by Courtney Hill

Every week one student in our class gets to sit out the super quiz and write the weekly update on our class.  This week’s update was done by 7th grader Courtney Hill.  Thanks, Courtney!

This week in Mr. Houck’s class we did an abundance of things. In my opinion, most of those things were fun things. We had no school on Monday, so we have school on Friday. All of our senses were a little off from being able to sleep in late for the past two weeks.

On Tuesday, we had a welcome back bingo game. You go around asking if people know how to do what you do not have filled in already. For example, I asked somebody if they knew how to draw a compass rose with four cardinal directions, and she did. So she put her name in that section, while I filled my name in one of her blank sections that I knew how to do. You could only ask a person once, so you had to go to everybody in the class to get a blackout, to win the prize.

On Wednesday, we chose our book groups. We had to choose ten out of forty-seven books that you would most want to read and number them one to ten. We also peeled an orange, a Little Cutie orange to be precise, and wrapped a coffee can. We had to come up with instructions on how to peel and eat an orange, then do the same for a coffee can. We got to write ten New Year resolutions for ourselves, then five for other people. We now get to make an instruction manual with an eleven by seventeen page of paper on how to do that thing. That assignment is due on Monday.

On Thursday, we took all day to work on our manuals. At 8:45, we did a flash mob. We all got up and took a lap around the school. When we got back, some of us were afraid that Mr. Houck would be mad at us, but he wasn’t. Mr. Houck started sending kids out to the hallway during the after lunch work time. When we were all out there, we sat down with our backs against the wall, with our feet out in front of us. Later, he then told us that that was his version of a flash mob.

On Friday, we got our book group assignments. Almost everybody from this class chose Matched or The Schwa Was Here for their top ten choices. Also, almost everybody got a book that they were happy with. I know that I was happy because I got to read Schooled, one of my top five choices.

This week, we also got to start a new read aloud book, Girl, Stolen by April Henry. I know that Mr. Houck and I enjoy it. It is about a girl with a lung sickness who was sleeping in her mother’s car while her mother went into the drugstore. The car began to move. Somebody was stealing the car. But did they know that there was a blind girl in the back seat? I hope we have another great week ahead of us!

Lucas Houck About Lucas Houck

Mr. Houck teaches in the middle school. He thinks it's the greatest place to be. Born and raised in Oregon, he enjoys camping, fishing, soccer and good food. He loves his wife, his baby boy, his work, and his friends!