August 22, 2017

Week Behind & Week Ahead

Last week was a great start to the new year. We began a new writing project, centered around the book The Dreamer. Using the wonderful and visual writing of the book as inspiration, we are focusing on quick writes in response to the poetic prompts throughout the story. Once we have completed the book we will be working on longer pieces. We also started our daily cursive practice. Many students were eager to learn cursive and are dedicated to learning the letters and perfecting their craft.

On Friday we spent a lovely day reading, writing, and working on math at our leisure. The class was remarkably focused during our quiet day… although it ended with a lively session of Just Dance 3 with the other intermediate classes!

This week we wrapping up our study of matter and energy. Today we discussed melting and observed some materials that melt and others that require more than 60 degree water! We are also inching our way down the path to memorized multiplication facts. Ask your student where they are on the chart and through some fact questions their way!

For art we are in the second week our a January drawing challenge. Each day we have 15 minutes to draw that day’s topic. Today’s was best friend (human or other living creature). I’m already seeing more attention to detail and thoughtful drawing happening after just one week of this project. After the month is over we will have a chance to look through our drawing portfolio.

Worried that homework isn’t making it to you? Don’t worry. Reading for 20-30 minutes at home and finishing up a math lesson is all I’m asking at this point.

As always, any lesson not completed during math class should be finished at home. If you have specific questions about your student and her/his progress, please let me know. And if you’d like to volunteer during math (9:55 – 11:40) or reading (M/W 2:20 – 3:00; T/Th 2:00 – 2:30), email me. I’d love to have help during those times.

Abby Steichen About Abby Steichen

This is my fifth year teaching at Springdale and my eighth year teaching an intermediate classroom in the Corbett School District.
When not in school, I enjoy reading, photography, gardening, sewing, exploring nature, and spending time with my husband, three daughters, and two cats.