December 13, 2017

Science Central (aka Trillium Room) Jan. 12

Anyone who didn’t spend their week in the Trillium Room missed out on a great week filled with science.  This week was phase one of “Balance and Motion.”  We learned some great strategies to make balancing easier, culminating with…I hope you’re ready to be amazed…balancing a pencil on its tip!  Yes, that’s right.  Your child can balance a pencil on its tip.  Mr. Clark, who was leading the lessons, also showed the kids videos of acrobats and tight-rope walkers doing things that seem death-defying, but really show a keen understanding of the physics of balance.  Please ask your child about the words “balance point, counterweight and base.”

This week, we continued to read books by Ezra Jack Keats.  It seems most kids like, “Hi, Cat” the best.  What the teachers appreciate is that Ezra Jack Keats writes about simple situations that kids can relate to.  He was also a pioneering children’s author in that he was one of the first to show kids of varying skin colors playing together.

Have you been on the district website lately?  (www.corbett.k12.or.us).  There are some important articles posted right now.  One of them is about the upcoming music program.  You’ll want to read it to have a heads-up to prepare your child’s “costume.”  Another article is about the future of Springdale school.  This is a very important thing to be informed about because it may mean you have an intriguing option for your child’s placement next schoolyear.    The most recent article is about property taxes and how our district receives money.  If you’re confused about how this all works, please look it up!

Your child has now memorized 2 new poems for January.  Here’s one of them:

Summer rain

is soft and cool

so I go barefoot

in a pool.

But winter rain

is cold and pours

so I must watch it

from indoors.

By Myra Cohn Livingstone

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.