December 13, 2017

Week of January 30th

Next week, Ms. Cassy Czupryk rejoins our class as a student teacher. She will be with us full time until the end of the school year. We are all excited to welcome her back. I am especially pleased to have another adult in the room all day to open the way for some more individualized attention for many students.
As I mentioned in the last post, late and/or missing homework assignments is quite an issue for some students. I do make a concerted effort each Monday to check that any late assignments are recorded on the homework log, but it is impossible for me to check each and every child’s log each and every period. I expect each student to honestly record every assignment when told to do so. If you see late homework noted on Monday’s log, please know that your child has not been fulfilling his/her obligations. I certainly appreciate the support at home to help students develop solid work habits. (Thank you also to those parents who authorized recess work time for those who are consistently late with homework. Let me know if you want your child added to the list!)
We finished up our unit on Lewis and Clark with several review activities, followed by a final assessment. Papers were handed back today, so look for the score. Students were also to hand in their journal/important events booklet and packet of worksheets/puzzles. You may want to double check that both were turned in. Now, we’re bound for the Oregon Trail!
Next week, we will start book groups with some of my favorite adventure stories. Along with the reading, students will be expected to answer a question after reading each chapter. Many students are reading without thinking, so this will force them to slow down and really understand what they are reading. It also provides an opportunity to develop writing and discussion skills.
Some good news to share about Joe Schneider – otherwise known as our very own Casper/Larch Mt. bus driver: Joe is also a contemporary artist and was featured on a segment of Oregon Art Beat on Thursday, February 2nd,  on OPB.  It will  repeat on Sunday, February 5th, at 6 pm. After it airs, the story will be online for viewing at: http://www.opb.org/programs/artbeat/segments/view/968. The whole program (which includes the in-studio segments) will be online at: http://watch.opb.org/program/oregon-art-beat/.
MORE HELP WANTED! It will soon be time to finish our Columbia Gorge art mural in the hallway. We still need one or two parents to volunteer to organize, lead, and help our artists in this important work. Parents will meet with Mrs. Hanes to get an overview of what is needed. Then, they will work with me to prepare for our final stage and guide the students in creating their masterpieces. Please let me know if you will help. I’m not sure yet what week we will be working on the art project, so let me know if there is a week or two that would be impossible for you. Thanks!

Dates to Remember:

• Monday, February 20th – Presidents’ Day Holiday
  • Friday, February 24th – School Day
  • Thursday, March 8th – Funky Monkey Field Trip
  • Wednesday, March 15th – Progress Reports
  • March 23-March 31 – Spring Break
About Susan Handy