February 20, 2018

Trillium Room Feb. 9th

Do you know who turns 153-years-old next week?  It’s our beloved state of Oregon.  We have been learning about Oregon this week and some of the symbols that represent it.  We have closely examined the state flag; learned half of the state anthem; inspected some of the symbols (state animal, state rock, state tree) and learned where Oregon is situated within our country.

In Social Studies, Mrs. Shaw is teaching about the fur trappers of the west.  As you’ll recall, we studied the Chinook people earlier in the year.  The children are learning about how the Chinooks’ life changed when other people started coming to the west.  They are also learning about the various reasons people migrated.

While Mrs. Shaw leads part of the group in the studies of the fur trapper, Mrs. Wold is leading the others in a study of the beaver (by the way, our state animal).  We are focusing on the beaver’s body, home and babies.  Thanks to Luke’s grandma, we got to see sticks that a beaver chewed.  Thanks to Glen and Maddox’s dad, we got to see a mountain beaver skull.

Our trapper and beaver reports will be part of our non-fiction presentation at an authors’ tea March 1st.   We’ll send official invitations later, but if you’re a plan-ahead kind of person, you’ll want to mark your calendar for 1:45 March 1st .

Last week, we sent a notice about our valentine party.  It will be Tuesday at 2:05.  If you would like to send cups and/or apple juice, please let us know via email.

Ask your child to sing you the first verse of our state anthem:

Land of the Empire Builders, Land of the Golden West;
Conquered and held by free men, Fairest and the best.
On-ward and upward ever, Forward and on, and on;
Hail to thee, Land of the Heroes, My Oregon.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.