November 25, 2017

Week 29 in Mr. Houck’s class, by Megan McMichael

Every week one student in our class gets to sit out the super quiz and write the weekly update on our class.  This week’s update was done by 8th grader Megan McMichael.  Thanks, Megan!

This week in Mr. Houck’s class the Cardinal Call, the Corbett middle school newspaper, came out, so we took the newspaper quiz on all the stories in the newspaper. It was written by C.M.S. students about our school.

8th grade speeches continued this week, with many great speeches. They all did a fantastic job telling about their time in middle school and giving valuable advice.

We finished our ancient civilization unit by watching a short video called Guns, Germs, and Steel, about how civilizations are made and destroyed.

We also made posters, using metaphors to describe something we learned from each of the three ancient civilizations: China, Egypt and Mesopotamia. In my poster I compared carrots, stacks of apples, and coconuts to describe tombs, pyramids, and city walls. I think it was a fun way to end the unit.

We started art talks this week, too. We each selected a piece of literature, a song, and a painting. We will write a speech about how these pieces are connected.

This week we also continued to read Ender’s Game. I’m enjoying the book so far and can’t wait to see how it ends. We got new enrichments this week, including language hunters, P.E. and gardening. I’m still in band for 6th period, and am doing P.E. for 7th period.

I think we had a good week, and I’m ready for next week!

Lucas Houck About Lucas Houck

Mr. Houck teaches in the middle school. He thinks it's the greatest place to be. Born and raised in Oregon, he enjoys camping, fishing, soccer and good food. He loves his wife, his baby boy, his work, and his friends!