November 20, 2017

Our First Month

We have had a great first month getting to know each other and working hard at school. I have been particularly proud during writing, where students have pushed themselves to write their thoughts and stories. There are many in our classroom. We’ve been working on writing our own versions of Bill Martin Jr and Eric Carle’s Brown Bear, Brown Bear, discussing the plants, trees and animals of the Gorge that Brown Bear might see. Students look forward to sharing these with you at conferences next week!

I continue getting to know readers, working in small guided groups. Learning to read is like climbing a mountain. Each step a milestone. There are plateaus and steep climbs and the payoff is a beautiful view. Some students are just beginning their climb, while others are halfway up and still others are enjoying the view.

In October we begin our study of the mighty salmon. We’ll be on two field trips, stay tuned for details.

Highlights of the month:

*Beginning our first chapter book read-aloud, Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl. I love reading Roald Dahl aloud to students! If you’re looking for a good read-aloud at home, I highly recommend his work.

*A Field Trip to Larch Mountain, searching for and identifying plants and trees along the climb, culminating in a stunning view of 5 mountain peeks.

*The launch of our Creation Station. Students get 30 minutes a week to create and invent!

*Viewing Paddle to the Sea, based on Holling C. Holling’s book. We discussed watersheds and how water from a mountain could end up in the Atlantic Ocean. This knowledge will serve us as we begin investigating the salmon’s journey home to spawn.

A special thank you to parents who have been able to help through volunteering, whether chaperoning, listening to readers, helping writers, pulling small groups for English Language Arts, or photocopying… your work is appreciated!

Bekah Tucker About Bekah Tucker

This is my eighth year as a primary classroom teacher, previously working as a special education teaching assistant and an english preschool teacher in Prague.

Outside of teaching, my passions are traveling, trying new restaurants, strong coffee, being with friends and family, and enjoying the beauty of the Columbia River Gorge.

I love being a Corbett teacher!