We enjoyed an absolutely stupendous field study today at Eagle Creek. Our observant students spotted salmon eggs in the water, birds eating eggs, salmon spawning, salmon battling their way up the creek, salmon digging redds, salmon protecting their newly laid eggs, salmon resting, and salmon dead and dying. In addition, they determined the water quality by testing air and water temperature, ph, and turbidity, tallied grass, shrubs, and trees in the riparian zone next to the creek, sorted and classified items that had found their way into or near the creek, and went for a short hike. The weather stayed dry, though it was a bit nippy.
Thanks once again to Mikayla, Sheila, Erika, Colleen, Doreen, and Trudy for helping out today and making our visit a marvelous experience for all. We could not have managed without you! The students will long remember the sights (and smells) of the last days of these Pacific salmon.
Please check out the photos at https://picasaweb.google.com/100193003652266897653/EagleCreekFieldTripNovember82012
The dying salmon decay and provide nutrients for new life. That leads us directly into our new science unit on fungi. I have asked the kids to search their refrigerators, yards, and woods for any mold or fungi growing there. If you find any, please send them to school next week on Tuesday. We would love to have many samples to investigate.
Today marks the end of the first trimester. I will be scoring feature articles and explorer biography cards this weekend, and preparing progress reports over the next several days. Please expect to see the reports on Wednesday, November 21st.
We plan to celebrate the end of the term on Friday, November 16th. Please join us in the gym at 3 p.m. if you can, for a salmon life cycle song. We will then head back to our room to share our feature articles, explorer projects, and artwork with you. I will provide apple juice and hopefully, some of you will send in cookies or snacks.
- Thursday, November 8th – End of First Trimester
- Monday, November 12th – Veterans’ Day Holiday
- Wednesday, November 14th – Picture Retakes
- Wednesday, November 14th – Fantastic Mr. Fox play at Mt. Hood Community College (Chaperones – please arrive by 9:40 a.m.)
- Friday, November 16th – School Day 3 p.m. End of Trimester Celebration (Meet in the gym.)
- Wednesday, November 21st – Progress Reports
- Thursday, November 22nd – Sunday, November 25th – Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 21st – January 6th – Winter Break!!!!