November 24, 2017

Trillium Room Nov. 16

If you walk into the classroom, you may notice a decorated tree.  No, we’re not rushing through the holidays.  Look more closely at the ornaments and you will see that each one illustrates a “gift” we get from trees.  For example, Korbin’s ornament has a picture of furniture and Beckett’s has a picture of clean air.  This activity kicked off our trees unit.  To learn about the parts of a tree, we dressed up some of our younger classmates in paper accessories made to look like tree trunks, roots, branches, leaves and crowns.  Next week, we’ll begin learning about specific trees and what makes them distinctive.

Ms. Belesiotis led us in a beautiful art project this week.  The finished product looks quite a bit like a stained glass window with a tree silhouette.  We used tissue paper and black construction paper.  As soon as we find the perfect spot, these wil be on display.

We had a special visitor on Friday.  Corbett’s own Rocky Graziano came to talk with us.  He always does a great job engaging the kids and explaining his job as a police officer.  Some of the children talked with him about the issues around bullying.  Others listened to him explain how to best deal with people who are strangers.  The teachers really appreciate Officer Graziano’s sensitivity to the age of our students when he presents.

If you pick up your child from school, please arrive by 3:40.  After 3:40, the kids will be waiting in the office.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.