October 19, 2017

Trillium Room Nov. 21

We managed to pack a lot into a short week. Our unit on trees got specific as we examined the Douglas Fir.  We watched videos that taught us some facts; did a rubbing of the needles; and heard a really cute story that explains why something that looks like mouse tails hang from the bracts of the cone.  We made a paper fir cone that we’ll bring home to show you.  In writing groups, we began a little book that will record what we learn about 4 important trees.  We also met the “Tree Lady” who brought in many items to show us as we learned more about the function and importance of trees.

On Wednesday, we spent an hour celebrating the tomorrow’s holiday.  Each child visited 2 stations to do activities with a Thanksgiving theme.  Your child can tell you which activities they did.

Progress reports are in the take-home folders.  If you don’t see your child’s, please email the teacher for a new copy.

Please consider spending some “quality time” this weekend checking your child’s head.  The grade school and Springdale have had multiple cases of head lice and it would be lovely to start the new week louse-free!

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.