November 24, 2017

12/10/12 Review and Looking Ahead…

Last week, we continued our studies of Colonial America.  Each student has been assigned one of the 13 Colonies to explore.   To help focus their studies, students have been asked to create a book to share.  Their books will include the purpose of settlement, who were the leaders of the settlement and settlement dates.  The type of government that was in place at the time, the location of the colony (a map), the climate, and any other interesting stories or information.  On Thursday, we also read a lot about the daily life of the colonists and practiced taking notes and then using those notes to write about the specific topic.  Books were originally due last week, but the kids have been working very hard and still need more time.  All books will be due on Wednesday, December 19th.

We have also been learning The Preamble of the US Constitution.  I have been so impressed with how quickly many students have memorized it.

In our word study we have been working on antonyms.  Word study is an important way to increase our vocabulary and improve word choice in daily writing.  One way that we learn about words is to play a game called, “I have, Who Has.”  Ask your child about the game.

We have recently had a couple of kids move into new math books which is always exciting.  Students are required to complete one lesson (corrections included) each day.  Those not doing so, should be bringing their math book home that evening to complete it.  Please continue to encourage your child to also complete one lesson each weekend.  During winter break students should complete as least TWO math lessons.  We really appreciate the help during math on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and would love to have more help on Mondays and Thursdays!  Our math time is 10:00 am until 11:45 am.  Feel free to come by and help out as your schedule permits!

Winter has begun in our classroom this past week.  We made some beautiful (and very large) snowflakes together.  They are now hanging from our ceiling, reminding us that winter weather is right around the corner.  Dr. Trani sent out a phone message last Wednesday to test our new system.  If you didn’t receive a call, please let me know.

We have four days of school and then winter break will begin.  We will be hard at work trying to complete the colony books, completing daily math, and beginning to see that change is on  the way for the colonists (The British are coming after winter break).   We will take some time on Thursday, December 20 to take a short break and watch a movie together and enjoy some holiday music.  The kids are coming up with some good movies to watch that are G and PG, we will vote, and then I will send home their choice on Monday afternoon via email.  We will enjoy some donuts and hot cocoa in the morning during the movie.  Please let me know if you child has any food allergies.

I just want to say that I feel so blessed to be able to spend my days with this amazing bunch of kids.  They are intelligent, kind, and always keep me laughing!  Thanks for sharing them with me.

Michelle

Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson