We are in the midst of the Revolutionary War. Students are reading historical fiction books of the time period, and we have learned of events that led up to the shot heard ’round the world. We even evaluated some primary documents to try to decide what really happened on April 19, 1775. Be sure to mark your calendar for Thursday, February 28th, when the intermediate classes will present a show about what we have learned of the colonies and the war. Exact time will be announced later, but I expect it will be about 2:30 p.m.
Students were hard at work this week creating their biome projects. Most have taken them home to finish this weekend. Presentations are scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday next week. Students will be evaluated on information contained in the visual, written, and oral parts of their projects. Please see the rubric in the blue folder for details of what should be covered.
Testing time is quickly approaching. As mentioned previously, fourth graders will participate in the NAEP test on Wednesday, February 11th. They can practice with sample questions at http://nationsreportcard.gov/students.asp. All intermediate students will take the Oregon state tests in reading and math during the week of February 25th. Fifth graders will also be tested in science.
We would like to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a class party on Thursday, February 14th. Those who choose may bring cards to share with their classmates. We would appreciate donations of sliced fruit, a veggie plate, cookies or cupcakes, juice, cups, plates, and napkins. Please let me know if you are able to send something, and I can tell you what is still needed. Thanks a bunch!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Thursday, February 7th – Principal Chat with Mrs. Hanes 8-9 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 13th – NAEP test for fourth graders
- Thursday, February 14th – Valentine Party
- Monday, February 18th – Presidents’ Day Holiday
- Friday, February 22nd – Friday School
- Week of February 25th – State Testing
- Thursday, February 28th – End of Trimester Celebration
- Tuesday, March 5th – Service project at Rooster Rock & gorge hike
- Friday, March 15th – Fifth Grade Math is Cool Competition
- March 22nd – March 31st – Spring Break!!!!
- Tuesday, April 9th-Funky Monkey program 6:30 p.m. GS Gym
- Friday, April 19th- Fourth Grade Math is Cool Competition