October 20, 2017

August 22, 2013

Welcome to a new school year!  I had such a great summer and I hope that you did too.   We have lots of fun and exciting things already scheduled for our time together.

This year our Gorge focus is on geology and natural resources found in our area.  We are also going to be exploring geography and map skills.  We are actually beginning our year with an overnight field study to the John Day Fossil Beds and Smith Rock State Park.  The trip is scheduled for Wednesday, September 11 and Thursday, September 12.   An information sheet is being sent home and there will be an quick informational meeting on Thursday, August 29 at 4:00 pm in our classroom (Room 12).  If you can’t make that meeting there will be another opportunity during the Back to School Night BBQ.  The BBQ is planned for Wednesday, September 4.  Come enjoy a hamburger, view some community information booths, listen to the intermediate team presentation in the gym, and come and visit our classroom.  The BBQ begins at 5:30 pm and goes until 8:00 pm.

We LOVE to have classroom and field study volunteers.  If you have time and enjoy working with kids we would love for you to join us.  I have sent home a form titled, “Student Pickup, Media Permission, and Parent Volunteer” for parents to fill out and return.  In addition, all volunteers must fill out a background check before they may work in the classrooms or attend a field trip.  You can pick up this form in the office.

Class begins promptly at 7:55 am each day.  Please plan to have your child arrive between 7:45 am and 7:50 am, to allow time to unpack and get ready for the school day.

Intermediate students are dismissed at 3:35 pm.  Students who are being picked up will leave via Mr. Blanc’s outside door.  You can park and meet them on his porch or you may pull up in the loading zone in front of the school.  Children will be release to parents or an adult that you have designated.  I do realize that sometimes after school routines change.  Please send a note, call, or send an email to let me (and the office) know if this happens.   I usually respond to emails as soon as I read them.  If you don’t hear back from me before 2 pm, be sure to call (the office) so that there isn’t confusion at the end of the day.

Enjoy the last few days of summer vacation.  See you soon!

Michelle Dawkins

mdawkins@corbett.k12.or.us

503-261-4234

Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson