September 25, 2017

September 1, 2013 Room 12

News from Room 12 –

We had such a great start to our school year.  Our class spent time getting to know some of our routines, meeting their new math teacher, and jumping right into reading, writing, and science.

For those of you who don’t know me, let me introduce myself. My name is Michelle Dawkins. My husband Chris and I have lived in Corbett for over 30 years.  We love living in such a beautiful place, but also enjoy traveling around the Northwest. Both of our kids (now actually adults) are Corbett graduates.  Steph, graduated in 2003 and Joe in 2006.  Steph went on to graduate from Linfield College and then completed her graduate work at the University of Tennessee.  She works for Columbia Gorge Community College in Hood River and The Dalles.  She and her husband, Peter live in Hood River.  Joe is an Oregon State graduate (GO BEAVS) and while still living at home – we really don’t see him much.  He loves to mountain bike, ski, and travel.  Joe and Peter both work for Watershed Sciences.  They do LiDAR mapping in some pretty incredible (and remote places).  We all love to ski and spend lots of time outdoors.  This is my 18th year teaching in Corbett.

We are working hard to establish our class routines and good study habits. Basic homework is to read at least fifteen minutes at home on each school day and thirty minutes daily on the weekends. If math lessons or other assignments are not completed in class, they too will be homework. We will also have weekly spelling lists, but that will not start for a couple of weeks, as I am assessing each kid’s level.

Many students are also bringing home their Writing Notebooks (composition notebooks) in order to add books to their list or log, jot down more writing topics, and/or write a bit more. Taking home the notebook is optional, and the kids have promised to be sure to bring them back the next day!   Writing Notebooks need to be returned to school each and every morning. Please help your child set up a routine so that homework is finished daily and everything returned to school on time.

Our intermediate team has some wonderful plans for this year. At the top of the list is our upcoming overnight field trip to the fossil beds in central Oregon. Thanks for returning the permission slips so quickly and volunteering your time and talents. A special thank you to those who donated extra money, above and beyond the $15 per person.

If you volunteered tools (small trowels, brushes, etc. – not large pick axes), please make sure that your name is on them and drop them by sometime this week. Mrs Dawkins, who is our lead organizer for the trip, will be contacting those who want to help with preparation, shopping, and food. Anyone who volunteered to chaperone is gladly accepted, providing that you have completed and turned in both the background check and confidentiality forms (found at the office).

We will start our music rotations this week. Mrs. Grimes will teach music to our third graders twice a week. The Pioneer band (4th graders) and Explorer band (5th graders) meet daily, as do Mrs. Swanson’s Funky Monkeys.

Just a reminder about after school routines. Everyone has informed me whether their child will ride the bus or be picked up after school. If that changes, be sure to let me know by phone or e-mail. I will respond as soon as I get the message. If you haven’t heard back from me by 2 p.m., please call the office and Dorthy will make sure that we find out about the change in routine. Students who are going to practice, games, or other after school activities need a note. They will meet a chaperone at the office, who will escort them to the activity.

Please consider volunteering one morning or afternoon a month (or more!) as a crossing guard in front of the school. Fifth graders, as well as parents, are needed. See Mrs. Hanes for details.

I hope to see all of you at the community BBQ next week on Wednesday, from 5:30-8:00. The intermediate teachers will have a short presentation in the grade school gym that evening (time to be announced) to inform you about reading, writing, and math routines, as well as details of the field trip. Afterwards, you may visit the classrooms. You will even be able to sign up for a time for student/parent/teacher conferences, which will take place on October 2nd and 3rd.

I am so excited for the school year and feel very lucky to have such a great group of kids,

Michelle Dawkins

IMPORTANT DATES

• Wednesday, September 4th – Community BBQ and Open House 5:30-8:00 p.m.
  • Friday, September 6th – School Day
  • September 11th-12th – Overnight Field Study Trip
  • October 2nd and 3rd – Conferences
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson