December 11, 2017

Journey Through Time

DSC_0877This was a LONG trip. Crazy long. To learn about geology and paleontology through books and pictures would have been the easy way.  Traveling 500 miles to actually see, touch, and experience it was the hard way, but I hope worth the trip for your child.
We had so many compliments from people we encountered along the way on how well behaved this large group of kids were.  That always makes me proud and thankful that they have such good home support.
I want to express my gratitude to those parents that helped by donating supplies.  Also a BIG thanks to those that traveled the trip with us – MaryAnn Bidondo, Rob Dillard (my little brother), Brandon Lanter, Joan Higby (Taylor’s amazing grandma), Duane Schnelle, and the mom with the very large motor home…Casey Hueker (thanks for letting me use the bathroom in it).
Next week, Scott Burns (a geology professor at PSU) will be visiting us.  He would love to see all of the kids fossils that they collected. I wanted to keep them at school, but I knew they were too excited about them.  Please be sure to have them returned to school next week.  Lee from Oregon Paleo Lands Institute suggested spraying them with varathane polyurethane.  They should not spray them with water.  You can do it this weekend or I will do it next week when they return to school.
We only had one kid vomit, five yellow jacket encounters, and a few tears about being homesick.  Not bad for 125 kids traveling so many miles!  I will be adding more pictures soon.
DSC_0859 DSC_0818
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson