August 21, 2017

Trillium Room Sept. 19th

We had such a fun week learning about geology.  We began detective journals, with each page devoted to a different interesting geological feature in the Columbia River Gorge.  The kids examine pictures of the feature and then learn the prevailing theory of how the feature was formed.  We also began reading “Sunset of the Sabertooth”, which is a Magic Treehouse Book.  In this book, Jack and Annie accidently transport themselves to the ice age.  The highlight of geology was of course, The Great Ice Dam Challenge.  Thank you so much for the abundant supplies you sent.  We had enough that kids could work in nice small groups of 3 or 4.  If you didn’t get the automatic email, make sure you look at the pictures we posted Thursday on the school website.

The dioramas are beginning to come in!  It is so fun to see the creative ways families are depicting the ice age in a shoebox.  We will display them next week, so please consider spending some time this weekend working with your child on this fun optional homework project.  If you don’t remember what this project is all about, email us and we’ll send you an electronic copy of the instructions.

Are you doing your homework?  Oh, didn’t you know there was homework?  Although we don’t send any kind of reading log or verification of minutes, we feel strongly that every young child must be read to aloud by an adult every day.  If you need ideas for books your child would enjoy, please contact us.  This is the best way you can support your child’s success in literacy.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.