October 23, 2017

Trillium Room Oct. 17

This week was the official end to our Ice Age/Missoula Flood unit.  We made the covers for our legends and celebrated the unit by watching the Ice Age movie.  At the moment this newsletter is being written, we haven’t actually seen the movie yet, so hopefully the teachers managed the projector and snow cone machine with an acceptable level of skill.

On Tuesday, the classes did an apple tasting.  The varieties were Red Delicious, Granny Smith and Winter Banana.  Each class made a different kind of graph showing which variety they preferred.  Mrs. Shaw’s bar graph and Mrs. Wold’s pictograph both showed Winter Banana to be the favorite.  Ms. Belesiotis’ pie graph showed her class liked Granny Smith.

It’s that time of year when kids are getting a bit tired of the get-ready-for-school routine.  How do we know this?  We have an epidemic of tardies right now.  We have had a couple days when as many as 10 kids have come in after 8:00.  Please remind your kids that being to school on time (7:50 is ideal) makes our morning routines (announcements, attendance, reading group instructions) much smoother.

Kindergarten parents only:  remember to return the permission slips for next Thursday’s kindergarten trip to Big Bear’s.  Please make sure your child dresses appropriately for trudging through a pumpkin patch

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.