October 20, 2017

Room 12 News – January 17, 2014

Room 12 have been very busy learning about maps, informational writing, and reading some great books!  I really love listening to the conversations many of the kids of Room 12 have about the books they are reading.  They are constantly sharing their experiences with plots and characters.

Our exploration on maps has had our classroom learning about what kind of information maps have on them.  Our focus has been on directions (cardinal and intermediate) and on learning about longitude and latitude.  Next week will will continue learning about the different types and how to read a map.
For the past few weeks we have been learning about how informational books are put together.  They aren’t just a bunch of facts, they are so much more.  Each day we look at different parts of informational books and see how we can include what we know into our own writing.  We also had a visit from the School Corps (Multnomah County Library) to show us how to access information to help gather information.  Each student was given a flyer that they were asked to bring home and show you (it is blue).
Our informational books will be due on Friday, January 24.  Most kids have at least two chapters written.  The goal is for five chapters, five vocabulary words to share, a map or other graphics included, and either handwritten or typed.  There were given blank books to fill.  We have had a lot of discussion about minimum work and “doing your best work.”  It will be interested to see which path they take!We begin our “Artists Around the World” next week.  We have divided the kids up into groups that have representatives from each classroom.  This will give them a chance to spend time with kids from other classrooms.   Be sure to ask your child which artist they are studying next week (they won’t know until Tuesday).
Unfortunately, I have been out of the class a lot recently.  Both my mom and my mother-in-law have both been having some major health issues that have pulled me away from the classroom.  I have been very pleased with how much the kids have stepped up to help our substitutes and to continue the important learning taking place.
Take care and enjoy the LONG weekend!
Michelle
NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY (1/20/14) – SCHOOL ON FRIDAY (1/25/14)
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson