March 23, 2017

Room 12 News – January 24, 2014

Informational Books.  

Books were due Friday, but I have extended the due date to Monday, January 27.  I really have tried not to include parents too much on this project.  We have been doing most of the writing in class and my hope was that kids would finish during class.  For some that worked and some it didn’t.
The Informational books should have at least four chapters (chapters should be longer than a couple of sentences).  They should also include at least five power words, five fun facts, and a page about the author.  Pictures, graphs, maps, and charts should also be included.  They may be typed or nicely hand written.  They should have written their drafts in their writing journals, revised, edited, and then final in the blank book that was provided.
Artists Around the World
We also just finished our first week of rotations.  Ask your child which artist that they learned about and where they came from (hopefully…they know).
Maps
We are learning about maps.  Part of our exploration included learning the purpose of a map and what features you will find on most maps.  One activity we did was to use the scale and find the distances from one U.S. city to another.
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson