March 29, 2017

Trillium Room Jan. 25th

We’re having a great time learning about volcanoes.  So far, we’ve covered the “ring of fire,” the rain shadow of the cascades, and the parts of a volcano.  We’re planning to make our own volcanoes and sent home a wish list of supplies you might be able to help us collect.  Attached to the volcano supply letter was a letter for earthquake simulation supplies.  We decided to ask for everything at once even though these simulations will take place a couple weeks apart.  One other letter was a request for recollections about the eruption of Mt. St. Helens.  Please help your child locate a friend or relative who has a first-hand memory of the eruption.  Write up a small narrative and send it back to school.  This will become a page of your child’s volcano notebook.

It doesn’t feel like it, but we’ve now passed the halfway point of the year.  Mrs. Shaw remarked the other day that January is the month when many kids make huge academic leaps.  This year is no exception.  Every day we celebrate another child who has conquered something that initially seemed so far out of reach.

The photo below is of the exciting scene behind our classroom Tuesday morning.  Poor tree.  Mean old East Wind!IMG_4595

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 25th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 27 years and have a 14-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.