May 24, 2017

Winter Revue! This Weekend Only!

This Friday, January 24th at 7:00 pm marks the first show of the new Corbett Performing Arts Club. The show will be held at Springdale school, with two other shows on Saturday the 25th at 3:00 and 7:00pm. The show is funny, family friendly, and features actors and musicians from kindergarten through high school seniors.

As the club’s faculty adviser, I’ve been fortunate to see the show take form during the past two months. I’ve been so impressed with the leadership, kindness, good humor and creativity of the seniors, as, guided by director Katherine Zieman, they’ve written script, choreographed dances, and supported and mentored the younger students. I’ve been delighted to see younger kids, (some of whom I know from the community as quiet, shy children) become confident actors. I’ve laughed out loud at their jokes and antics, and paced nervously as they’ve worked through difficult lines or dance steps. I’ve learned so much from the sound and light technicians, and seen how those quiet, gentle young ladies who compose our “tech crew” turn into task-masters who know exactly how keep the show running smoothly, and communicate that in no-uncertain-terms to the actors. Don’t mess with the Corbett “techies”!

I’ve been fortunate to spend time with some dedicated and friendly parents, grandparents, and caring community members; without their generous donations of time and energy, the show could not happen, and wouldn’t be as much fun. As I write this post, I am so proud of the cast of our winter revue. I am impressed by what their hard work, creativity, and cooperation has accomplished. I hope that you’ll come to our show, free of charge, and see what our talented Corbett kids can do! It’s a great show; you really don’t want to miss this one.

About Carrie Church

Carrie Church loves teaching at Corbett Middle School. She has taught kids from pre-kindergarten through middle school, in almost all imaginable combinations. Before moving her family to Corbett, Carrie has lived in Alaska, Indiana, Michigan, and northern Italy. Carrie still loves to travel to new places and learn new things, and especially loves teaching science. She has three kids who attend Corbett School, goats and chickens, too much garden, and an indulgent husband.