August 22, 2017

Room 12 News – January 30, 2014

This week we read our informational books to our buddies from Mrs. Wold’s class. The kids loved listening to us read them and had lots of questions about each subject.  We will be sharing our books with our friends and family at the end of this trimester.  I am looking at the calendar and will have a date and time late next week.

Our spelling test will be on Wednesday, February 5th.   The kids have practiced their words in class, typed them up, and I have sent them home for more practice.  They have had these words for two weeks, so hopefully we will have some great scores.
We continued our exploration of informational writing.  Our challenge was to write a how-to paper on making a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  Each student had a graphic organizer to help them.  We talked about the importance of being very detailed and specific.  On Thursday, we then used the papers that we wrote to actually make a PBJ sandwich.  Some turned out great and some missed a step or two.  Everyone enjoyed a sandwich before lunch!
Next week we will begin learning about Natural Wonders of the World.Today we viewed a slideshow that showed 41 places to visit.  This was just a sampling of what is available around our world.   On Monday we will explore a few more places and then students will be asked to choose a natural wonder from around the world to learn more about.  I encouraged them to explore a few places of their own this weekend.   I have included the website that we viewed today.
http://www.babble.com/travel/amazing-natural-wonders-of-the-world-40-places-to-see-before-you-die/moraine-lake/
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson