Happy almost February! The weeks have flown by since our winter break.
Students spent some time researching their chosen places this week. At this point, each of them should know its name, location, and reason for inclusion as a World Heritage Site, as well as be able to describe the area. They also need to have identified two or three places, animals, or plants at the site to share with us in great detail.
Next week, we will begin to create the posters. Students will label and color maps, create text, and choose pictures or diagrams. If you have color printer capabilities at home, please assist in finding a couple of pictures to enhance the poster. Please don’t overdo it, however!
Speeches, consisting of introduction, bodies, and conclusions, will be presented during the week of February 17th, and should include all of the above information. Students will be scored on Ideas and Content, Organization, Language, and Delivery. Students will not read from their posters, but will talk from words and phrases printed on small index cards. Lots of practice beforehand will help them feel more comfortable and help insure a loud and clear presentation.
On Tuesday, two ladies from Rivermark Credit Union visited our room to begin the Financial Footings program. This is an introductory economics and money management unit provided free of charge. Hopefully, you have already helped your child complete the survey comparing costs of basic items. If not, please do so this weekend.
Thanks a bunch!
- February 3rd-6th – Book Fair at Springdale 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m
- Wednesday, February 5th – Family Night at Book Fair 7:30 a.m-8 p.m.
- Monday, February 17th – Presidents’ Day Holiday
- Friday, February 21st – School Day
- Thursday, February 27th – Funky Monkey Trip to Symphony 8:20 – 11:15 a.m.
- Thursday, February 27th – End-of-the-Term Celebration 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- March 21st-30th – Spring Break