June 23, 2017

Trillium Room Jan 31

It’s been so fun to read the recollections of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens.  Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to write them down.  It’s not too late to bring in a memory.  If you’re too young to have first-hand memories, find someone who can share their story.

This week, we did some really fun still life drawings.  Ms. Oakley collected a really fun assortment of objects for us to draw.  We learned about how to draw what we see, not what we know is there.  These will soon be on display in the hall.

In our study of volcanoes this week, we focused on composite volcanoes.  These are the most beautifully shaped volcanoes.  They also erupt most violently.  Ask your child to tell you the names of some famous composite volcanoes (they should be able to name 4).

In 2 weeks, we will have our Valentine celebration.  We exchange valentines with our homeroom, not the entire Trillium Room.  Please look in your child’s backpack for their class list.  It is very important that pre-readers NOT address the envelopes.  They should just sign their own name.  Only children who can read all of the names on their own should address valentines to specific children.   If you’re not sure, then ask your child to read the class list aloud to you.  If they can’t do it, then skip the names.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 25th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 27 years and have a 14-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.