February 22, 2017

Trillium Room Feb. 22

image_1 image_2 image_3 image IMG_4739 IMG_4738 IMG_4737 IMG_4736 IMG_4735 IMG_4734 IMG_4733 IMG_4732 IMG_4731 IMG_4730

We have begun the second part of our “Mountain Detective” unit:  Earthquakes.  This week, we learned about the layers of the earth, tectonic plates, and fault lines.  The kids are really interested in this topic.  If anyone in your family has a story about being involved in an earthquake, please share it with your child.  They’d love to tell the class about it.

You may not realize it, but another major holiday occurs in a couple weeks:  The 100th day of school!  The primary classes have always celebrated this event with a big, noisy, joyful parade.  Attached to this newsletter is a stiff piece paper with a 100 written on it.  Please help your child select 100 small items that they can glue inside the 100.  We will display these in the hall.

This week, Mrs. Shaw and Mrs. B had a talk with the girls.  We’ve gotten some reports lately that some of the girls are forming recess “clubs” that have exclusive membership.  We’re making it clear to the kids that everyone must be allowed to play with whomever they wish and no one can dictate who is in a certain play group.  If you have concerns about this, please come in and talk to us.

The photos are of our “layers of the Earth” models made from playdough.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 25th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 27 years and have a 14-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.