We have begun working to develop an opinion piece of writing. Students should have created a thesis (opinion statement),written a few pages about what they know, organized their reasons into a logical sequence, and developed paragraphs with examples, facts, and details supporting each reason. Some folks need to do a bit of research in order to gather more evidence. I have asked everyone to take home their notebooks so that you can see if they have completed the steps listed above. If not, they need to get caught up over the break. We will do some revision the week we return to school.
The jogathon is quickly approaching. This is our main fundraiser of the year. Pledge sheets were sent home earlier this week. Please encourage friends and family to support our PTA as we raise money for lots of great projects. We also need some volunteers to help out during our PE time on Wednesday, April 9th, from 3-3:30 p.m. Thanks!
Our team of teachers is busy planning our field study trip to visit the Scablands in Washington. We will send home an information page, rough draft of the itinerary, and permission slip on Monday, March 31st. In the meantime, I am hoping to hear from some more parents who are willing and able to come with us (May 13th, 14th, and 15th). We need lots of adult help to make this a successful trip!
All adults planning to come need to bring government issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, for the tour of Grand Coulee Dam. If you are not an American citizen and want to come, please contact me now, as there are further hoops to jump through for preapproval. Please note the revised date for the informational meeting -Thursday, April 10th (4 p.m. in Mrs. Dawkins’ room).
Have a wonderful spring break! Wherever you go and whatever you do, please be sure that your kids are reading each day.
- March 21st-30th – Spring Break
- Wednesday, April 9th – Jogathon 3-3:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 10th – Info Meeting for Overnight Field Study 4 pm in Room 12 (Dawkins’ room)
- Tuesday, April 22nd – Funky Monkey Concert
- Week of April 28th – 5 DAY SCHOOL WEEK
- Wednesday, April 30th – Third Grade Concert
- Friday, May 2nd – Sternwheeler Trip
- Tuesday, May 13th, through Thursday, May 15th – Three Day Field Study Trip
- Monday, May 26th – Memorial Day Holiday
- Wednesday, May 28th – Portfolio Night
- Friday, May 30th – Last day of school (Half day)