February 20, 2017

Impressionism, Space Science and Birdhouses! Oh My!

I wanted to share some pictures of a few things we have been working on over the past month or so.  Our theme for the year has been patterns and one of our artistic focuses has been on impressionism.  We learned about Claude Monet’s life and his “Water Lilies”, Vincent Van Gogh’s struggle and his “Starry Night”, and Norman Rockwell’s realism mixed with impressionism in “The Connoisseur”.  Along with creating our own impressionistic paintings we recreated all three of these paintings.  Please check out the photos below if you didn’t get a chance to see them up in the hallways.

Like I mentioned in my previous email we have been studying about space science.  We have looked at planets, stars, constellations, asteroids, comets, space exploration, and so much more.  We actually created a solar system that was to scale (1cm = 767.4 miles), our own constellation and myth,  Space Labs and a space shuttle!  There was so much more I wish I could share but you will have to wait and see it on portfolio night!

Then during our garden class that happens on Wednesday afternoons we were able to make birdhouses!  The awesome volunteers from the garden had all the materials and tools ready for us when we got out there and everyone had a great time.  I was blown away by what was created in the end.  Can you see it on my face?

Thanks again for looking!

Mr. Phillips

This slideshow requires JavaScript.