We began our huge state project this week. It combines reading, writing, geography, and art. After more than five hours of class time, students are expected to have completed the following tasks:
- Chosen a state east of the Mississippi River
- Recorded facts about nickname, capital, population, area, symbols, etc. on a worksheet
- Read about the history of the state
- Identified five important events and recorded the date and event in his/her notebook, as well as page #s to find further information
- Researched more about one of the events and written notes
- Written a rough draft of a paragraph about that event
- Read about the geography and climate of the state and made notes
- Written a rough draft of a paragraph about the geography and climate
- Drawn and colored the state flag on the back of a 3″ x 5″ index card
Several students need more time to finish, so have brought home their resources. Please assist as necessary, and make sure everything is returned on Monday.
Next week, students will write their final drafts of the two paragraphs mentioned above and create a timeline of the important events. They will continue their research and write about the state’s resources and interesting places to visit. They will also design and color a map of the state, which will become a puzzle for the class to complete.
Once all of that is finished, we will start again with a western state. Plan to be dazzled when you visit on Portfolio Night!
Thanks to all the people that returned permission slips and sent money to help with the costs of our upcoming field studies. If you have forgotten, please send them in next week. A special thank you to those of you who sent extra money to help cover other student’s expenses.
Please remember to send in whatever you can of the following items during the next month. Thanks!
- Paper towel and toilet paper rolls
- Aluminum Foil – 25 square feet each
- Dental floss
- Empty 2 liter bottles
- Tuesday, April 22nd – Funky Monkey Concert (Arrive in the classroom at 6:15 p.m.)
- Week of April 28th – 5 DAY SCHOOL WEEK
- Monday, April 28th – ECO (Dress to work outside.)
- Wednesday, April 30th – Third Grade Concert (Arrive in the classroom at 6:15 p.m.)
- Friday, May 2nd – Sternwheeler Trip
- Monday, May 5th – Test to identify all 50 states
- Tuesday, May 13th, through Thursday, May 15th – Three Day Field Study Trip
- Tuesday, May 20th – Pioneer Band Concert
- Monday, May 26th – Memorial Day Holiday
- Wednesday, May 28th – Portfolio Night
- Friday, May 30th – Last day of school (Half day)