February 23, 2017

Room 12 News – April 24, 2014

Our classroom continues to buzz with energy!  We are preparing for our overnight field study – Exploring the Evidence by reading “Terra Tempo.”  This is a graphic novel written by some local authors.  The book takes three characters on a trip back in time – the time of the Ice Age Floods.  Yep, the same ones that we will be looking at the reasons that geologists believe that HUGE floods came through about 14,000 years ago and permanently changed the landscape.  We are learning the geological terms and learning about what we will see on the trip.

Our class is also continuing to learn about simple machines.  So far we have learned about levers, pulleys, wheel and axles, and inclined planes.  We have two more to learn about next week and then we will explore how to construct our own before using our knowledge to create some Rube Goldberg machines!
The Funky Monkeys had a wonderful program this week and our third graders will perform on Tuesday, April 29 at 6:30 pm in the MPV.
Next week is a FIVE day school week.  Lucky for us, Mrs. Lilly has put together a field trip on the Sternwheeler.  We will board the Sternwheeler at 10 am and return to Cascade Locks at 12 pm.  Our school will have lunch in the park and then the intermediate classes will go on an afternoon hike!  We will return to school at 3 pm.  Chaperones are needed for this trip (so far, I only have three).
The Intermediate Teaching Team has been busy planning for the overnight trip.  If you are a chaperone for this trip and completed the online form that I sent you, THANKS.  If you are a chaperone and haven’t yet, please do so this weekend.   If you are a chaperone and have no idea what online form I am talking about, please email me!
Please mark your calendars for Portfolio Night on Wednesday, May 28!  
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson