Another week has flown by! The students invested about fifteen hours during the past eight school days in their state projects. Many have taken home books about the states in order to finish their reading and writing assignments. Tasks include:
- one paragraph each on a historical event, the geography of the state, resources, and a place to visit
- a timeline with five events identified
- a colored drawing of the state flag
- colored drawings or pictures of four state symbols
- drawings or internet pictures (copied pictures limited to two) to complement the paragraphs
Most of the above tasks should already be done; the rest need to be finished and returned to school on Monday. Don’t forget to send back the resource books too. The students will assemble their cubes to share their information with classmates and with you on Portfolio Night. We will then start all over again with a western state!
We have also been practicing locating and identifying the 50 states. We have worked on the NE, SW, SE, and Rocky Mountain states. Just have the NW and the North Central Region left to go. Students will be quizzed on all fifty states on Monday, May 5th. Check out http://lizardpoint.com/geography/usa-quiz.php for a great way to practice.
We enjoyed a visit from a Multnomah County nurse on Wednesday. She reminded us of good habits for oral health. Then we had a rousing game of Dental Jeopardy. The kids worked well together and earned a lot of money!
Remember that next week is a five day school week. We will begin the second and final round of OAKS testing. Anyone who did not meet the benchmark in February will try again.
Please send in permission slips and money for the Sternwheeler trip on Friday if you have not done so already. Also remember – ECO on Monday. Dress to work outside.
The Funky Monkey program on Tuesday was awesome, as usual. I look forward to the third grade program on Wednesday!
Enjoy the weekend,
- Week of April 28th – 5 DAY SCHOOL WEEK
- Monday, April 28th – ECO (Dress to work outside.)
- Wednesday, April 30th – Third Grade Concert (Arrive in the classroom at 6:15 p.m.)
- Friday, May 2nd – Sternwheeler Trip
- Monday, May 5th – Test to identify all 50 states
- Tuesday, May 13th, through Thursday, May 15th – Three Day Field Study Trip
- Tuesday, May 20th – Pioneer Band Concert
- Monday, May 26th – Memorial Day Holiday
- Wednesday, May 28th – Portfolio Night
- Friday, May 30th – Last day of school (Half day – 12:30 dismissal)