October 19, 2017

Knick Knacks and Paddywhacks

Knick Knacks and Paddywhacks:

• We have E.C.O. tomorrow (Ecology in the Classroom Outdoors). We’ll be going to an area near the outdoor classroom and planting new species of plants. The weather looks like it’s going to be terrific, but I told the students to wear clothes tomorrow that they don’t mind getting dirty.
  • The third graders have their musical performance on Wednesday evening. Please have them meet in Mrs. Handy’s classroom no later than 6:15 PM. Boys are expected to wear dark colored pants and a button-up shirt (plaid, white, or blue). Girls are expected to wear a dress or a skirt with a light-colored top and tights. Both girls and boys are expected to wear nice shoes.
  • Students are in the process of giving their speeches this week. We’ll probably wrap them up by the end of the week.
  • This Friday is our field study on the Columbia Gorge Sternwheeler. After our trip on the boat, we’ll be going on a hike with Mrs. Handy’s class to Elowah Falls. As of right now, it looks like the weather will be terrific, but of course that could change in a moment’s notice. Please make sure that students are prepared with comfortable shoes and water bottles. We’ll be on our feet a lot. Students are expected to bring a snack and lunch that day. If you indicated on the permission slip that you’d like the school to pack a snack and lunch, then you’re all set! If you forgot if and what you indicated, please email me.
  • Our second round of OAKS is this week. Only students that did not meet their grade level requirements for a “met score” will be taking it again.
  • The end of the year is rapidly approaching. I’m going to start the perpetually long and arduous process of getting all the books returned to our classroom library that have been signed out. I spend my own personal money on my classroom money. Sometimes I’m able to get generously reimbursed through the PTA, but it’s mostly my own money. Over my eight years of teaching, I’ve spent thousands of dollars making sure that my classroom is stocked with a wide range of books. It’s very important to me. Here’s where I’m going to stop rambling and ask for your help; PLEASE REMIND YOUR CHILD TO RETURN ANY BOOK THAT MAY BELONG IN OUR CLASSROOM LIBRARY. My books are marked with a “B” within a circle in permanent black marker. Oftentimes in this situation, students have just stockpiled books at home that they lost track of during the school year. It’s not a big deal. I just want them returned. I’m requesting that all books be returned by Thursday, May 8th that are currently signed out that are not being read.
  • Remember to keep saving those toilet paper and paper towel tubes in preparation for our unit on Rube Goldberg. In addition, please save those empty two-liter plastic bottles.

Enjoy your week!

~Mr. B

Dan Barnard About Dan Barnard

Dan Barnard hails from the Green Mountain State of Vermont where he grew up skiing, biking, and exploring the nooks and crannies of the woods. He learned to drive on his parents' station wagons, learned to ski at Smugglers' Notch, and developed a love for traveling by participating in school trips to France and New York City. He worked in many jobs ranging from ski instructing to babysitting to an after-school program that helped him decide he wanted to be a teacher.

He enrolled in Wheelock College in Boston, Massachusetts and earned a BA in Humanities with a focus on history and a concentration in Elementary Education. After working for two years in a suburban Boston community as a fifth grade teacher, he decided to move west to discover the beauty and bounty of Oregon. He worked for four years as a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade teacher in Mosier, Oregon. While working in Mosier he enrolled in graduate school at Portland State University and earned a MS in Curriculum and Instruction from Portland State University.