November 20, 2017

Trillium Room May 15th

We had another fun session with the ECO ladies this week.  We learned about what’s in soil.  We learned that you can remember the components with the acronym WAMO:  Water, Air, Minerals and Organic Material.  We got to dig in the ground and use magnifiers to try and find all 4 components, which we did!  This project inspired some read-alouds about underground life and an art project showing a cutaway of life above and beneath the surface of the earth.

Another special visitor this week was the Tree Lady.  We think she probably has another name, but we got to call her “Tree Lady.”  Our first session with her was a chance to talk about the important parts of a tree and why they’re important.  Our second session was so fun. We got to make our own piece of paper out of recycled materials.  Your child probably brought home their little circular piece of paper they created.

Portfolio Night will be Wednesday, May 28th.  It is an Open House format.  Please show up any time between 3:45 and 7:30.  Plan to spend about 20 minutes looking at your child’s work with them.  Children must come, as it’s not a conference, but a chance for kids to show you what they’ve done in school.  If you can’t make it, let us know and we’ll send everything home so you can do it at home.  It’s a bit awkward to talk about a child’s academics or behavior when other families are around, so if you’d like to have a “real” conference, please contact us to set up a separate time.

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.