May 23, 2017

Room 12 News – January 17, 2015

What a RAINY day!  Looking on the bright side it gives me some time to sit and write out the news from our classroom!  

SCIENCE – We are trying to include science activities at least three times each week.  This week we continued with our exploration of magnets.  Students had to come up with a way to measure the force between two magnets and then look at how that changes if something comes between the two magnets.  On Thursday, we moved onto electricity!  Kids were given a D cell battery, two wires and a bulb.  They had to figure a way to light up the bulb.  There is nothing better than watching kids as they learn something new!  The excitement of lighting up the bulb was so much fun.  Next up will be building and comparing simple circuits with a focus on how connections are made.  Students will be responsible for identifying the essential components of an electric circuit and understanding their functions.  

LEWIS AND CLARK –  The expedition has finally left Fort Mandan after a long winter and they are now on their way trying to find a water passage to the Pacific Ocean.   The members have seen lots of new animals and had many challenges along the way.  Each member is responsible in journaling each day about events that happen and sketching the sights and animals found along the way.  Each day the Corps of Discovery members face important decisions, they experience exciting events along the way, and this week we learned that they were seeing the Rocky Mountains for the first time. Next week, we will hear all about their struggles of crossing the mountains as they continue their journey to the Pacific Ocean.    

INFORMATIONAL WRITING –  Students looked at their Informational On-Demand writing and then used an informational checklist to help set goals for this unit.   This week we looked at how to improve elaboration as we write.  Each student will be responsible for writing an informational book on Lewis and Clark.  We are working together to help create this book that we be shared with our buddy class.  

READING – Ask your child about Kidblog.org/MrsDawkinsClass-2!    Each week kids are asked to write about the book that they are reading.  They need to include a “thinking stem” such as:  I’m wondering, I’m thinking…,  I’m picturing…, It reminds me…, I’m figuring out…, I just learned…!  I have asked to only blog about their books and not use this blog for journaling about their reading and the thoughts they have about their reading.  This blog is only available to members of our classroom to view.  I am trying to make it available to parents to view their own child’s blog.  I’ll let you know when that happens.  

OUTSIDE RECESS – We will be sending kids outside whenever possible, so be sure that you child comes prepared with a coat (hats are great too).  

IMPORTANT DATES:

Monday, January 19 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day – NO SCHOOL

Friday, January 23 – SCHOOL DAY

Tuesday, January 27 – NAEP test for fourth grade kids only

Monday, February 16 – President’s Day – NO SCHOOL

Thursday, February 19 at 6:30 pm – Funky Monkey Performance

Friday, February 20 – SCHOOL DAY

Thursday, February 26 – Last Day of Second Trimester

Friday, February 27 – Assessment Day

Wednesday, March 11 – Multnomah Falls Service Project (all day)

Progress Reports go home

Friday, March 20 – Spring Break begins

Monday, March 30 – First day back from Spring Break

Wednesday, April 22 – Portland Bridge Walk

Friday, May 1 – Vista House and Historic Columbia River Hwy Tour

We are working on an overnight trip to the Oregon Coast.  We will leave on Wednesday and return Thursday evening (around 6 pm).  The proposed dates are May 13 and 14 and May 20 and 21.  These date are NOT CONFIRMED!  Four classes will go one week and four classes the next week.  

Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson