December 13, 2017

Mrs. Shaw and Mrs. Wold Jan. 23

This week was all about trade.  We learned about how Native Americans and the newcomers would trade with each other, or within their own groups.  We are looking forward to visiting the trading post next week, where we can hopefully get some really nice things.  Since you have to bring something to trade when you go to a trading post, we made beads to use as our trade offering. 

Our field trip to Fort Vancouver was under bright sunny skies.  The kids really enjoyed seeing the different buildings in the fort.  The fur store room, blacksmith shop and shop were especially fun to see.  We spent the most time in the fur store room.  The kids got to touch pelts from 10 different animals and learned about why each one was valued. 

On Friday, Mrs. Shaw had a substitute in the morning and Mrs. Wold had the same substitute in the afternoon.  We were both at school, but were given time to meet with each child one-on-one to do reading assessments.  It’s exciting to see how much growth has been made in 76 days of school.  If you’ve gotten out of the habit, please make an effort to read with your child every night.

Can you believe the school year is now more than half over?  That’s right.  We passed the halfway mark last week.  Wow!  We must be having fun, since it seems like we’ve only been in school for a month.

IMG_6104 IMG_6105 IMG_6106 IMG_6107 IMG_6108 IMG_6109 IMG_6110 IMG_6111 IMG_6112 IMG_6113 IMG_6114 image (1) image (2) image (3) image IMG_0224 IMG_0229 IMG_6282 IMG_6286 IMG_6292 IMG_6310

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.