April 24, 2017

Room 12 News – February 6, 2015

Good Evening!

I meant to get this out earlier, but busy day.  I started with meeting with the Crown Point Country Historical Society (http://cpchs.org/).  They are busy planning a new museum that will be located near the Corbett Market.  This will be a wonderful place for our community to visit and learn about the history of our area.  We are going to partner with Chuck Rollins and his group to help with fund raising and helping anyway that we can. More to follow.
This weekend, your child should be worried about finishing their Lewis and Clark book!  It is due on Thursday, February 12.  Kids have had at least one hour each day to work on this book for the past three weeks.  Now they are down to four class days and panic might be setting in!   Depending on how everyone is doing, I might grant an extension to the following week, if kids are using their class time well.  I would say that many kids are making a lot of progress and that a few are struggling.  If you have any time next week to stop in and help a kid out during writing (11:30 am until 12:30 pm) we would LOVE to see you.  We will also work on them each afternoon from 3:00 pm until 3:30 pm and you are welcome to join us then.
I am attaching the instructions for the book.  Each student was given a copy to take home a couple of weeks ago and another to have in their Gorge folder.   Please email me with any questions.
Next week we will take a break from Word Study Words (red, yellow, and green packets) to devote more time to our books.  Students are still responsible for their high frequency words or vocabulary words depending on what they are working on.  High frequency word lists go home every Wednesday.  If you haven’t seen a copy of your child’s let me know and I will send it to you.  Vocabulary has been changed to five words per week with a focus on the meaning, not the spelling of the word.  This week’s words are:  hearth, behoove, iota, tedious, and loom.  Kids are responsible for knowing the meaning, part of language (noun, verb, adjective, or adverb), providing at least one synonym and at least one antonym.
We have almost completed our science unit on magnetism and electricity.  Last week we learned about series and parallel circuits.  Next week we will experiment with circuits.  Maybe these kids can figure out why my holiday lights only last a season before half of them go out!
Our travels with Lewis and Clark have got us all the way to the Pacific Ocean.  So far…wet and rainy.  Things haven’t changed much since 1805.  This week they will build Fort Clatsop and spend the winter before traveling back east.
Upcoming Dates:
Thursday, February 12 – Lewis and Clark book due
                              (possible extension on this)
Monday, February 16 – No School President’s Day
Thursday, February 19 – Funky Monkey Performance 6:30 pm
Friday, February 20 – Friday School
Thursday, February 26 –  Second Trimester Ends
Friday, February 27 – Assessment Day
Wednesday, March 11 – LCREP Multnomah Falls Service Project
                                      Second Trimester Progress Reports Sent Home
Friday, March 20 – First day of Spring Break
Monday, March 30 – Back from Spring Break
Michelle Dawkins About Michelle Dawkins

My husband and I have lived in Corbett since 1983 and I have taught at Corbett Grade School since 1994. Chris and I loved having our children grow up in the community of Corbett. They both received a great education and made many life long friends while attending school here. Both Steph and Joe graduated from Corbett. Joe is a graduate of Oregon State University and Steph has graduated from Linfield College and completed her MBA at University of Tennessee. Chris and I are extremely proud of our children! Both are enjoying life and share our love of nature.

"If a child is to keep his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in." ~Rachel Carson