August 24, 2017

Feb. 28th Mrs. Shaw and Mrs. Wold

Please see the previous post.  I posted last week’s newsletter the same day as this one.

This week, we took a pause from gorge studies.  We used the opportunity to learn a bit more about the presidents.  On Monday, we focused on the Father of our Country:  George Washington.  We watched a video about him, wrote facts and made paper George Washingtons.  The next day, we learned about the process you’d go through if you wanted to become president.

We also began looking forward to the next holiday:  St. Patrick’s Day.  We learned about leprechauns and why gold is important to them.  We all wrote about someone(s) in our life who is more important than gold to us.  We drew them in a paper pot of gold and added glitter to make it sparkly.  The poor custodian will not be happy with our lack of tidiness when using glitter.

In writing this week, we finished up projects, as we are all starting research projects next week.  Mrs. Wold’s writers wrote poems, which were typed and illustrated.  Mrs. Shaw’s writers used the final week of opinion writing to write letters to Mrs. Hanes  nominating their favorite books for “The most important book a kid should read” award. The class focused on writing endings that left the readers wondering more about the books.

IMG_6265 IMG_6266 IMG_6267 IMG_6268 IMG_6269 IMG_6270 IMG_6271 IMG_6272 IMG_6273

Kristin Wold About Kristin Wold

This is my 28th year teaching in Corbett. I am incredibly fortunate to have brilliant, energetic colleagues; creative, supportive administrators; and parents who over-whelmingly love partnering with the school to make the best possible opportunities for their kids. I have a great job.
Professionally, my passion is working with emergent readers. I strongly believe that our first priority in teaching reading is to get kids to love books. We need to introduce them to authors and topics they’ll love so they’ll seek out reading for pleasure.
Personally, I have been married for 30 years and have a 16-year-old daughter who attends Corbett. I enjoy traveling, hiking in the gorge, and studying Japanese.