December 12, 2017

Day Two in Astoria

The Corbett Grade School third, fourth and fifth graders continued their journey in historic Astoria, Oregon. The second group of four classrooms arrived today and experienced the activities the first group did yesterday. They climbed the Astoria Column, toured the Columbia River Maritime Museum, went to Cape Disappointment Lighthouse, hiked to Beard’s Hollow, swam at the Astoria Aquatic Center and had a great evening at Camp Rilea with dinner, ice cream, movies and games. The first group continued home, but not without a second day of learning in the field. They explored Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark camped for the winter, visited Fort Stevens, walked on the beach to the Peter Iredale, and made one last stop at Indian Beach at Ecola State Park. The second group will continue in their footsteps tomorrow before ending the excursion for a well deserved weekend – for students, chaperones, and school staff! Thank you to all who volunteered their time to make this trip a success. You are truly appreciated and you can be proud of the students and the way they engaged in learning on the road.

Thank you to all the chaperones!

Thank you to all the chaperones!

Reflecting on the Day Before Bedtime

Reflecting on the Day Before Bedtime

The Salmonberry at Fort Clatsop-  Meriwether Lewis Recorded Native Plant Specimens The Salmonberry at Fort Clatsop- Meriwether Lewis Recorded Native Plant Specimens

DeeDee Hanes About DeeDee Hanes

My husband Rick and I have lived in Corbett for twenty-nine years. We have two children, Andrew and Krissy. They both graduated from Corbett High School and were busy in the classroom and on the sports fields. Andrew went on to the University of Southern California to earn an Aerospace Engineering degree and Krissy went to the University of Oregon and graduated in International Studies. They are grateful to the Corbett School District for opening doors for them in the world of higher education.

I have worked for Corbett Schools since 1998 and teaching even longer, since 1985! I went to Oregon State and received my Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education with an Endorsement in Reading. My Masters in Educational Practices and Foundations of Administration was earned from Portland State University. I also received my Special Education Endorsement from Portland State.

My family loves to camp, play sports, board games, books, movies, and traveling. Rick spends some of his extra time helping coach the Corbett Softball Team. I may just spend some of my extra time studying gourmet cooking now that both our children are out of the house!