Alexa has written a synopsis of this week’s action in our classroom. Enjoy!
I think you should know about what your student has been doing in class.
In the mornings, we have been doing State Testing, we’re being quiet like we’re supposed to. Some students have already finished their tests and when the other kids do their tests they go into the Longhouse room to read or finish any work they might need to complete.
In reading we’re learning how to write about our reading, and every week send our thoughts about the book to Mr. B in an email. Some things we do to strengthen our writing/reading is mini lessons, reading journals, and journal prompts.
In Gorge Studies we are learning about the Earth’s history and how we started from the bottom and now we’re here. So far we’ve gotten a “case file” (it’s actually just a tan folder) to keep all our facts in. We also split into table groups to do something a little like the Amazing Race unit that we did when we were learning about the continents, but this is a little more hands-on. For example, my group is making a model of the earth out of clay, which is pretty fun.
During art we’ve been making clay carvings and they’re all looking really nice. We’re going to paint them soon after they’ve dried.
If you’ve read this far, have some puns:
Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day.
Mr. B’s Reminders:
STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO WRITE ME AN EMAIL THIS WEEKEND, or write a letter to me and give it to me on Monday morning, IN RESPONSE TO WHAT THEY’VE BEEN READING. This week, we worked on growing our thoughts by providing evidence, linking it to other parts of the book, analyzing characters’ traits and actions, and the message (theme) the author is trying to convey.
- 4/28- Tomorrow is Dress Up Formal Day in our class for a class photo, and because it’s fun. Students are more than welcome to change after the photo.
- 4/28- With that being said, tomorrow is a school day.
- 5/5- So is next Friday, May 5th! Furthermore, we’re hitting the road for a geological tour down the Columbia River Highway. Please fill out the permission slip here if you haven’t already done so.
- 5/23-5/25- Our overnight trip to the Scablands!!! Geology!!! Yeah!!!
- 5/29- There’s no school on Monday, May 29th in observance of Memorial Day.
- 5/31- Our portfolio night, a collection and reflection of your child’s work and progress this school year, is scheduled during the late afternoon and early evening.
- 6/2- The final day of school! Woah!
- Summer 2017- Various staff members are offering different enrichment courses this summer, including yours truly. Check out the courses offered here, and know that this list will grow as we get closer to summer.