January 18, 2018

What I Found Memorable Was…

Dear Families,

We’re covering a lot of bases in school. With topics ranging from World War II to persuasive writing, we’re learning a lot. This morning, I asked students during our Class Meeting to share one thing they learned this week, found interesting, or found memorable from a particular class (for example, no lunch or recess memories, but man those scones on Tuesday were GOLD). Here’s what they had to share:

• I learned that all of the Danish people would die for their king. ~ Miguel
  • I learned that Mr. B always likes to stops at cliffhangers in the book. ~ Jessie
  • I learned in writing like where to put punctuation in paragraphs. ~ Anand
  • I found it memorable when I was telling everybody how horrible King Henry VII was. ~ Oak
  • I learned that Napoleon Bonaparte was a strong leader. ~ Wyatt
  • In math, I learned how to organize decimal numbers. ~ Italia
  • In math, I learned how to multiply three digit numbers by another three digit numbers. ~Brenna
  • In read aloud, I learned that in some books, little things in the story can represent big things. ~Abigail
  • What I learned in math is when you times five digits by five digits, you have to use four zeroes. ~Abby
  • I learned in math how to multiply three digits by three digits. ~ Isabella
  • I learned that in Number the Stars, they didn’t have most of the things that we have now. ~Amelia
  • I learned how to multiply three digit numbers. ~ Jacob
  • In math, I learned how to multiply four digits. ~ Corniliy
  • I learned in math that Mrs. Chiu does scavenger hunts and they’re fun. ~ Alex
  • I experienced in reading, you can experience more things in the past than you do now. You can know more things about what happened in the past. ~ Chase
  • I learned that speech can be really important to some people. ~ Ethen
  • When Oak shared about Henry VIII, I learned more about him and about Napoleon Bonaparte. ~ Mrs. McCoy
  • In math, I learned more about missing numbers. ~ Lucas

Progress reports went home yesterday. It was difficult to fully assess students’ reading progress as a majority of the students have not been consistent recording their reading on a reading log, either a paper copy or the online digital copy. I know that most of you will purse your lips, slowly shake your head, and maybe stare at your child disappointingly. The truth of the matter is that this is ultimately their responsibility, but I need your help in reminding them that this needs to be done every time they read, which should be for 30 minutes a day. It’s December. Let’s do this!

Please remember to keep Thursday, December 21st marked on your calendars for our Publishing Party at 2:45pm. I will write more details next week, but it’s going to be a great opportunity to come in and listen to some of their passionate persuasive claims about a range of topics, from ice cream to gymnastics.

Mr. B

Idiom of the Week: Open a Can of Worms

Vocab of the Week: weariness, flaunt, dumbfounded, sleazy

Dan Barnard About Dan Barnard

Dan Barnard hails from the Green Mountain State of Vermont where he grew up skiing, biking, and exploring the nooks and crannies of the woods. He learned to drive on his parents' station wagons, learned to ski at Smugglers' Notch, and developed a love for traveling by participating in school trips to France and New York City. He worked in many jobs ranging from ski instructing to babysitting to an after-school program that helped him decide he wanted to be a teacher.

He enrolled in Wheelock College in Boston, Massachusetts and earned a BA in Humanities with a focus on history and a concentration in Elementary Education. After working for two years in a suburban Boston community as a fifth grade teacher, he decided to move west to discover the beauty and bounty of Oregon. He worked for four years as a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade teacher in Mosier, Oregon. While working in Mosier he enrolled in graduate school at Portland State University and earned a MS in Curriculum and Instruction from Portland State University.